Friday, April 2, 2010

more side effects

It became apparent tonight that the loss of feeling in Brian's hands and feet are more serious then previously thought, or he told us.

I am not sure at this point if it is an enhancement of the preexisting nerve damage, he does have some left over damage from his previous chemo treatments, or if it will get better after his chemo ends and he has time for nerve recovery.

What I am sure of, is that he dropped a plate of food on the floor tonight because he couldn't feel it in his hands.
It's not a big deal, we have an instant food clean up crew that lives here, and it was a plastic plate because I switched to plastic wear when Brian started chemo again because I knew he'd be taking the glasses and plates to his room and didn't want anything breakable. Besides, truth be told, aside from the good dishes, ( that we never use) we don't have too much left in the ceramic department, between the move, and the general normal breakage, we are low on breakable plates. Not really a bad thing....

His response to this incident, and his tripping the other day tells me more then he wants me to know.
I think that we'll have to keep in mind that he might need a wheelchair at some point, but I think I will discuss that with Scott quietly before we broach the subject with Brian. I know Brian isn't going to like it. We'll see what the next few weeks bring and what shape he is in before the next round of chemotherapy.

When Brian started chemo last time, he weighted 60 lbs and I could easily haul him around without a problem. But we did move his bedroom downstairs to be close to the bathroom. Now, I can no longer carry him, although we do have a full bath downstairs and could turn the dining room (which is my office/craftroom) into a bedroom for him, he would be very resistant to that idea. And it would be a huge amount of work. SO I think for now, I will craft him a nice walking staff out of beech from the yard, I've made a few already and they are very strong, and add a shower chair to the list of helpful things.
that list will most likely continue to grow as Brian's needs do, since we need to make sure his prescriptions are covered first.

I made sure today at the hospital that the medicaid paperwork has finally been correctly filled out and on it's way to the people who file it. I am hoping once approved, the constant prescription expenses will be covered and we can get some of the other items he needs, though the cost of transportation won't be assisted with at all. At least this week the cost was about $75.00 instead of more then double that last week. Thank goodness we can utilize the closer hospital for the lab work on M,W,F and it seems to be working. (getting to the cancer clinic the same day).

No comments:

Post a Comment