Friday, April 23, 2010

Friday's update

Last night Brian had some blood in his pee. One of the chemo drugs Ifosamide can cause hemorrhaging from the bladder, so it is given with a recovery drug called Mesna. The Mesna in Brian's case is actually mixed into his chemotherapy.

The first round we had no trouble, but as I expected, round 2 and the following rounds are harder because your body is already suffering side effects.

Fortunately because we were already due at the clinic for the neulasta injection, Brian simply gave a urine sample and he's already on prophylactic antibiotics. I think that as long as he continues to drink lots of fluids, his bladder will recover quickly. It's painful, but the key is to flush all the chemo out and keeping drinking. During chemo, keeping your hydration up is very important.

my car leaked out 3 quarts of oil on the drive up and back, making Scott quite unhappy since that is what he fixed earlier in the week. Hopefully this is a simple fix tomorrow, but there is no time today, he needs to sleep to get to work. He's more then a little frustrated this week, from the cars to the part time job that hasn't materialized that was suppose to be a done deal.

I still have several hours of medical paperwork left to accomplish tonight, as well as cooking something that Brian can eat but won't make him sick. He's having a bit more nausea this time round, though he is very determined not to vomit, so if he actually did, wow, you know he is feeling peaked.

It's a breezy day here, but most days are....(I want a wind turbine) and about mid 50's..but we have a frost advisory up for tonight, so I am off to chop up a little wood so I can have the fireplace going in case Bri gets cold while watching Tv....besides, I lived for so long without a fireplace, I light a fire whenever I get the slightest excuse.

No comments:

Post a Comment