Wednesday, April 7, 2010

another day trip to the hospital for bloodwork

Seems like we are always driving to the hospital..oh wait, that is because we are. Using the "local" hospital for the labs seems to be working well for now and although is hardly around the corner, it is closer then Lehigh. It does save wear and tear on all of us, as well as the car.

Today it was HOT...where did spring go?...and as it would be, it seems the air conditioner doesn't work on my vehicle...guess it goes with the way things have been going, and while I love my vehicle, she's hardly a spring chicken. Scott's going to see if "Harry's u pull it" has one for my car. (got to love junk yard names...at least PA still has them, most of them in NJ are long gone) I can't imagine making these trips without air conditioning. Neither Brian nor I do heat very well.

I do hope spring comes back before summer though.
I spoke with the people at the cancer center and the people at Lehigh, they are coordinating that all the pathology slides get to Hershey before we do on Tuesday. They have really been amazingly helpful, and I appreciate anywhere I don't have to make sure something is getting done. They even called me to let me know it was being taken care of.

Brian's counts today were a complete surprise. His platelets which were low (90) on Monday were 136 today and recovered rather then continued to fall...a delightful surprise. All his counts have returned to normal. Much quicker then expected. He's still tired, and has hand, feet, and scalp numbness and some brain fog, but he's doing pretty well all considered.

Scott got a small second job today, it's not much and I am torn between what expenses it might cover vs. the extra things that need doing around here. But that is how Scott deals with stress, work so he doesn't have to think. While I don't think it is the best choice, after 25 years of marriage, I know that with everything that has happened so far this month, he felt like he didn't have a choice.

I know how he feels...like we need to clone ourselves so we can do more and be more places then we can be.
I know that it is hard for people who haven't been in our position to completely understand, but life doesn't stop just because we have this huge issue of Brian's cancer and all of the time and money his treatments and check ups and lab work takes. The grass grows, the dishes pile up in the sink, the cat litter boxes still need to be cleaned. And the cars are getting a ton of mileage that they really shouldn't be getting. Ah, if you could just choose the planning of life's complications.

I had to laugh tonight when I was in Walmart, there was a parent in line with her kids and one was complaining about how things were "unfair" because her sister got a t shirt and she didn't. It was one of those times when I felt like turning around and saying "unfair??...let me tell you about unfair" At least I could laugh...there was a time when overhearing something like that would have made me angry with the injustice of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment