Saturday, April 3, 2010

late saturday update

Today was a nice day. It really was the first day in a long time that we got a lot done, but we felt relaxed. Not sure why, but hey, I'll take it.

We cleaned the snake's cage even, and I took him outside to get a little fresh air while Scott washed out his tank. I think Brian was disappointed, I haven't let him handle "nakkee" since he started getting chemo. Some reptiles can carry bacteria on their skin and I just don't want to take the chance. It's why we also changed his tank...he gets misted and we just swapped out his bedding just in case there was any chance of any mold or fungus. He's really quite clean, we're just trying to be extra vigilant.

Brian feels better tonight, he has a little more energy and is more stable on his feet. He even came and sat outside for a short while for some fresh air. It was another gorgeous day here, and I am sorry that Stephanie had to work and didn't get to have dinner with us. We haven't had much time for dinners together.

Brian has sores on his tongue today, but the bum sores are better. I inspected him for petechiae tonight when he got out of the shower...sometimes on Brian they can be difficult to see at first because he has freckles as well on his body. Naturally he LOVES letting me see the bum sores and search him for petechiae, but as I have mentioned before, there is not an ounce of dignity left in this process. Besides, I am his mommy...I have seen all the parts and pieces, he'll just have to grumble, complain and comply....

hope tomorrow is just as nice, I have several more loads of laundry and I need to shampoo the hallway carpet.
last time Brian was on chemo, the carpet became such an ordeal we ripped it up and put town vinyl tiles to help cut down on the cleaning and allow for a quick bleach solution on the floors. It worked very well. We had planned on taking up the carpet and tiling when we bought the house, but we're going to do the vinyl flooring again. We don't have time to do the tiling right now, and we need the added benefit of no carpet. It makes cleaning and keeping clean much easier. With both the vomiting from the chemo and the pets, it will be the easiest thing. Scott and I can just do one box at a time until it's done downstairs. Then all it will take is a sweep of the steam mop or a quick wipe with a dilute bleach solution to keep it as clean as possible.
I guess another advantage to being familiar with the chemo is we already know so many things that make things easier on us, that last time, it took us the first year to figure out.

No comments:

Post a Comment