Monday, March 8, 2010

One little, two little, three little phone calls

Oh yes, the great cancer assistance run around. I'd forgotten...sort of... Some people who have never actually gone through this process actually believe that the cancer organizations are there to help people with cancer. But I disagree. And I can say that because I have personally experienced just exactly how much help you can get.
For example...
I filled out the leukemia and lymphoma society financial aid form this morning. At least the part that I can fill out. I have to take it to the doctor with us on the next visit so he can fill out his part. Then it has to be mailed in and processed, then I can submit my expenses and be eligible for up to $150.00/per year. That's it...and if treatment lasts longer then 1 year, that paperwork needs to be filled out again. Wow, now don't misunderstand me, every single dime helps. We have thousands of dollars of medical bills already and Brian hasn't even gotten his first round of chemo much less gone to transplant. SO I'll take that $150.00, but I really have to work for it.
So after I filled out the LLS paperwork, it was on to the American Cancer Society phone call. I spoke with a nice young man who took down all my information then asked me how he could help me?...DUH??
So I explained to him that we were interested in counseling, medical bill assistance and help with transportation costs. He gave me 6 additional places to call (including LLS, so I guess really just 5) then asked if the Cancer Society could contact me in the future....(that would be no doubt to solicit a donation) SO what help did I get from calling them?...oh yes right..more places to call. But so far..no help....

Now, I have to ask myself, at what point does the obviously microscopic assistance make up for the fact that this is at least 2-3 days worth of work and there does not seem to be any concrete commitment to receive any type of assistance what so ever for that invested time. Time I could be spending with Brian, time I could be spending with Stephanie, even time I could be spending further researching transplant hospitals......hell, I could be listing things on ebay and making more money to help with the expenses...
This is a frustrating process that so far has been fruitless and I have been at it for hours....spilling my name and phone number and financial information out all over, not a bit intrusive ..

Okay..back to work...on to CancerCare...I'll keep you posted.
But here's a tip....your donations to cancer organizations don't go to cancer patients...maybe it goes to research...but I'd ask what % actually is used for administration costs next time you write check.

Thanks to Grandma for the heated blanket and the rolling cart. Both VERY helpful. Brian will be cold after the chemo and our rolling cart barely survived to the end of treatment last time, but saved us running back and forth to the hospital parking garage by allowing us the schlep everything in at once. And being 10 years older and more tired, less trips are very good.

No comments:

Post a Comment